Burwell have designed and overseen the completion of this office fit-out project at Jermyn Street in Piccadilly.
Empire House stands above the Piccadilly Arcade, designed by George Thrale Jell and completed in 1908. The south side of the building was badly damaged during the second world war and has been neatly rebuilt in the 1950’s, as a modernist interpretation of the original building.
This project for Great Portland Estates revitalises areas of the first and third floor of the historic Empire House to create new high specification office accommodation. The approach has been to strip out the found suspended ceilings, and to introduce a central ceiling raft to increase the height of the space, whilst introducing contemporary lighting and new services throughout. The entire space is fully fitted and refurbished, with the introduction of open plan desking, cellular meeting rooms and breakout areas.
We continue to develop further proposals for GPE, with concepts create internal linking blocks to offer improved circulation across this entire west-end block.