This office refurbishment project for Great Portland Estates refreshes office and reception areas at 52 Jermyn Street.
Empire House stands above the Piccadilly Arcade, designed by George Thrale Jell and completed in 1908. The south side of the building was badly damaged during the second world war and has been neatly rebuilt in the 1950’s, as a modernist interpretation of the original building.
This project for Great Portland Estates revitalises areas of the first and third floor to create new high specification office accommodation. The approach has been to strip out the found suspended ceilings, and to introduce a central ceiling raft to increase the height of the space, whilst introducing contemporary lighting and new services throughout. The entire space fully fitted and refurbished, with the introduction of open plan desking, cellular meeting rooms and breakout areas.
This is an intelligent workspace, the information technology servicing has been designed to create a “plug and play” environment for new tenants, whilst GPE’s workplace app provides access to amenity and services. Sensors are installed within the space to capture data on indoor air quality, whilst also monitoring desk usage. The information collected is accessible from the app and computer dashboard so that adjustments to environmental settings can be made accordingly.
Client: Great Portland Estates
Lead Architect: Burwell Architects
Services Engineer: MTT
Net Internal Area: 368 sqm
Form of Contract: Design and Build